BCM International Forum Index            BCM International
BCM Discussion Forum

FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in   Register
A BCM day
Newman
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 1:21 pm  Reply with quote

Finally, a place I can "speak my mind." Well, my mind speaks a different language from my mouth, but perhaps I can translate.

Always wondered what the heck we do all day long?

I for one, struggle with that question hourly.

But today:

I answered and wrote some e-mails
I wiped down the excess grout on our newly re-grouted bathroom tiles
I watched some of Powell's speech to the UN Security Council on CNN
I text-messaged back and forth to my college roomate, who was running the AV for Powell's speech to the UN Security Council
I will go put together some sets to fill orders, and go to the Tompkins Square Post Office (the biggest tiny post office on earth) to ship them.
I will (hopefully) take about 3 hours to work on my UNLV commission. In all likelyhood it will be closer to 1.5 hours
I plan on calling my friend Toshiko back today. She just quite the Bill T. Jones Dance Company and is back in town.
At about 5pm I will go for a run along the East River. I cancelled my gym membership because there is no branch nearby my new apartment.
I will meet my friend Marion at her new apartment in Brooklyn. She moved to the Ft. Greene/Park Slope area. My wife will meet me there after she attends an tech rehearsal for work. I suppose I'll have to pick up a housewarming gift or something. Wine? Sure.
When we return, we're supposed to put up new shelving in the bathroom (the last of the rooms to be renovated), but tht requires the drill, and it will probably be late, and we can't be drilling at midnight 'cause it would disturb our neighbors...especially because the only wall we actually share is the bathroom wall, so you know the more I think about it the less I think we'll be putting up bathroom shelving tonight.

Now how's THAT for a blog!

As I understand it in my twisted little brain, my BCM brethren will be doing the following:

Steve-o: spent the morning working on this Discussion Forum. Posted a mail to all of us saying it was live. Left to catch the bus to Manhattan. Arrived at Juilliard to start work where he will field and sift through the most INANE tech-support questions from the student body. He'll probably also put some sets together, and maybe make some CDs for TMEA. Then he'll go home and snuggle with his new bride.

Jim: spent the morning in a meeting about the new "Fisherman's Luck" game, which is behind schedule in production. He now has to come up with 2 more cues for it. After lunch with a co-worker, he spends the afternoon making a sequence for a new slot machine based on "Missile Command". When he gets home he'll break out the Atari to raid it for samples. But he doesn't go home yet, he stays at the office from 6 to 11, working on the ending for his new wind piece.

Eric: MAD BEATZ from 6am to 3pm. Re-sequencing things that are probably already finished, because HE JUST CAN'T STOP! Then at 4, yoga. Hila makes spaghetti, then in the evening they meet David and Lisa for drinks and a pre-trip celebration. The tequila is broken out. Eric sings the entire opera from start to finish, at pitch, in falsetto. He goes back to the apartment around midnight to reply to some e-mails.

Go ahead, tell me I'm wrong!

-newman
steve
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 2:56 pm  Reply with quote
Site Admin

Thanks for the "slice o' life" report. You summed up my day fairly well, except for time spent in the evening trying to figure out where to go with the new piece about the Wright Brothers for Fairborn HS. Oh, and I have to record a trombonist one of these nights as sample material for the trombone quartet/electronics piece.

back to work...

(the end-of-the-day new-bride-snuggling bit is the best, i must say)
-steve
superman24
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 3:53 am  Reply with quote

i may sound like a doofus with this question...but what does BCM stand for?.. Question i've been searching all over the site for it...
BanD-TuBa
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 10:04 am  Reply with quote

Hey superman24!

You have saved the day! Rolling Eyes
I have always WANTED to ask that question.
However i found that by asking so, i would unconsciously tell myself that humiliation would tag along with the question... I am new you know...
So! Er... What DoEs BCM stand for? I have been searching the entire web and even the individual websites of our 4 heroes here, and i found nothing on what BCM stands for?! Question Exclamation Shocked

*grins*

Anyway this topic seems interesting enough, but no one is replying?! Surprised

I have also questioned sometimes what exactly do composers (not only them... other creators of art and literature as well) do the whole day! Sit and write? This topic is an eye opener... Thanks Mr. Newman!!

By the way, your 'OK FEEL GOOD' has been keeping me mesmerised ever since i downloaded it! It really give a feeling bliss and zero worries! Does wonders in times where people are stressed (and having major examinations... like me...). Thank you for that too!

Marcus Huang
Newman
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:07 am  Reply with quote

Marcus -- thanks for the very kind words on "OK" -- I'm glad you dig it!

Slightly embarrassed that this thread is still open -- considering I wrote that description of my day about 10 months ago, when the members of this forum were Eric, Steve-o, Jim, and me...in any case -- it's pretty safe to say that my days aren't taken up with so many home renovations anymore. (We ran out of money.)

Wink

What does BCM stand for? Why -- you all know the answer to that: BCM stands for a revolution in new and groundbreaking works for winds, quality music in a marketplace of crud! BCM stands for many things. Think creatively if you must take an acronymic guess...

Cheers!
Newman
Ross
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:35 pm  Reply with quote

Hey guys --

I believe I've cracked the code... it must be Band Camp Memories... thank you, thank you. You may send me my prize in the mail.. Wink
Have a wonderful day!
Ross
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
steve
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:38 am  Reply with quote
Site Admin

I think we have a winner! Wink

(shout out to Arkansas - I noticed you're in Russellville. Is Travis Beard still directing there?)
Ross
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:29 am  Reply with quote

Hey Steve -

Yup, good ol' Russellville here. Travis Beard is still here at the high school. He's a great guy. I've not had him for a teacher, I'm originally from Ft. Smith and am going to college at ATU. (the best music dept. in the state!) We played "Chester Leaps In" not too long ago... it was great fun...Anyway, so yup he's still here!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
choralfreak
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:15 pm  Reply with quote

I would be interested to know what your days are like now...
jimbonney
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:40 am  Reply with quote
Site Admin

Its pretty similar... except it starts a LOT earlier now, usually involves a 3-5 mile run, and I don't eat lunch with my coworkers very often anymore. I usually hang with the guys over at Midway (video games).

Jim
eric
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:09 am  Reply with quote
Site Admin

Sitting in sun in Israel. Sleep. Repeat...
nevsky
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:15 pm  Reply with quote

jimbonney wrote:
Its pretty similar... except it starts a LOT earlier now, usually involves a 3-5 mile run, and I don't eat lunch with my coworkers very often anymore. I usually hang with the guys over at Midway (video games).

Jim

Ok, here's an interestingly stupid question:
Jim, do you find that playing video games helps with your guitar technique and/or vice versa? I've always wondered about that, since most of the guitarists I knew in college were also big into video games. Coincidence? Master plan?

Matt
jimbonney
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:50 pm  Reply with quote
Site Admin

nevsky wrote:
Ok, here's an interestingly stupid question:
Jim, do you find that playing video games helps with your guitar technique and/or vice versa? I've always wondered about that, since most of the guitarists I knew in college were also big into video games. Coincidence? Master plan?

Matt

YES!!! I mean nothing beats good solid practice time on your instrument, but its the weirdest thing -- I really think it DOES improve your eye/hand coordination and your fast twitch muscle response.

I especially recommend any of the Tony Hawk games -- those seem to be the best for guitar players.